Monday, August 25, 2014

A Window in the Clouds

What stands heavy on the waking mind
Lies gently upon my dreams
So many questions to reconcile
Between the devil and the dreamer in me
I take careful stock of my passions
And the cost they incur upon my sanity
Though I've yet to speak with Death
I know he's surely heard of me
I consider debts paid and owed
Stories forgotten and those yet to be told
I bury some thoughts in the winter cold
To fertilize others that demand to grow
I've suffered karma and happenstance
Emerged stronger than the consequence
Of keeping this lit match
In the palm of my hands
And now I know the light that glows
From deep within my tired bones
And all the love that I have shown
Has me inhaling sadness, and exhaling hope.This is the gift I have for you
Don't open it 'til I've left the room
Merely a poem to those who may not know me
It is everything to those who know the tune

Who stands strong through the prevailing winds
Who extends a palm to the nearly dead
Who begs love, if only that I have it to give
Who offers a lifetime of the moments we've noted
What stands heady, threatening with pride
To dismember those dreams that dare disrobe the light
I would shine on you a thousand lifetimes
If only to show you how you glow to my eyes
I dance recklessly across these oceans
I chance everything on remaining in motion
That you might see, there's no such thing as hopeless
When the devil and the dreamer in me come to bed
I've returned from the shadows a fire still burning
Emerged brighter than the days I was well hid
From a darkness yearning
To conquer all that has made me
I fight in the name of the undreamt moments
If I die, then my corpse will still hold this pen
And you'll know that I've given all that I had
To give you the one thing that can never be broken

This is the gift I have for you
It fits perfect in hand yet still fills the room
Merely a poem to those who know no other view
But you, whose soul was singingBefore the first verse was through
I am here for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment