Monday, August 25, 2014

Waking Up

"Maybe I'm dying and
This pain in my chest
The numbness on my left
The crack in my bones when
I stand for something
Signals the coming end
Maybe I'm falling
To pieces, and nothing
Will ever change it
And every time I wind up
My fists, my knuckles are ready
To break, every word
That spills from my lips
Begs to be the last, the best
I've ever had
Well if so, here we go
Cause I'm not dead yet."

Live like you're the first
To discover love
Give like these are the only words
That could ever touch
The whirlwind of the mind
The ill-defined, the half-blind
The wave of the ocean when she says goodbye
These are the days to turn into nights
These are the reasons we stand up and fight
The passion behind the depression in our eyes
The fire that burns long after we've died
Shed the weight of the skies
Discern the truth from the lies
And understand why
You told them to begin with
You want them to recognize
You're different
No compilation could be complete
Without your ink within its pages
Because life isn't meant to die
Quiet, we were built to fly
Given the mind to accomplish
To drive ourselves beyond the edges
To survive the god damn consequences
To look upon those pretty white fences
And jump over them
Don't settle for less than
The beauty in the explosion
Of your sentence, the defiance of even
Gravity, we could hide all night
But better that we're free
To own these moments
Perfect and broken
Screaming and singing
To every thought we've composed as
The heavens shake their heads
And the devil smiles knowingly
Live like you're the first
To think these things
To breathe in this noxious mix
Of obsession and compulsion
And exhale a fire cleansing
Every desire we've had, but didn't dare speak
Every brush with death
That comes together to compose
This painting
Take a moment to breathe
If you need.

See, nothing we've accomplished
Means a damn thing if we've forgotten
To keep dreaming when our eyes are open
Take those hits and be stronger for them
Shake those thoughts that you can't do it
In the end, all you've ever been
Is a fraction of your lifespan
A distraction from your purpose
To bleed and fight and scream and die
And smile through every moment, knowing
It is only hopeless if you give up
Instead of giving in, if you turn your back
Because you doubt your own direction
I might be dying, might find myself
Lying in a cheap coffin, someday
Or buried alone in an unmarked grave
But when I am, I will have had a hand
In giving something this world
Is all too often missing
The willingness to step beyond survival
To erase the idea of merely existing
And empower us all
To begin truly living.

No comments:

Post a Comment