Friday, August 1, 2014

Bereavement

If I could gather the clouds
I'd put them in a box and open it for you
Slowly, like letting the air from a balloon
Watch your hair thrown back
A hundred thousand still connected dandelion puffs
Cast out by a laughing child's breath upon them
While nimbus and cirrus race toward
Home

I would trace the edges of your flesh
By lightning strike, I'd summon the strength to reach out
To caress your skin, glowing beneath the strobe
Of those tiny photographers
Whom you inadvertently modeled for
As the thunder grumbled something about the confines
Before rolling out across our eardrums, whose vibrato tickles slightly
The lobe

Much like when you would whisper
Into mine

If I might collect the stars
I'd put them in an old mason jar and surprise you with it
On one of those nights where you weren't quite sure
If we were crying from laughter or futility
Watch the lights dance in your eyes
Pools of ocean blues, sprinkled with flecks
Of sea foam green and the fiery white specks of
Reflection

I would let them free, once they'd all been named
By you, that when you next gazed upon the expanse
Of night sky, you'd cry out, there's Julius, and Douglas
And they'd still be alive, for that moment, instead of weights heavy
Upon the heart, scars etched deep upon your arms
And I'd remember you for the way you are
Instead of trying to live amongst a world in which
You were.

No comments:

Post a Comment