Monday, August 25, 2014

Acknowledgement

I never stopped loving you
I never turned my back
Never withdrew my hand
I never thought less
Was never unimpressed
By you

And now we're old friends and
Watching the tides roll in
Lamenting how quickly they
Withdraw again
And we're left with miles of darkened sand
And traces of years that should have been spent
Differently
And now the time has come and gone
The skies have rolled over
Into the storm
As we fight and dig and claw at the world
Hoping to unearth what we were
Before the sun collapsed across the horizon
Before the gun went off in our hands
As we watched the corpse of beauty lying quiet
And the wind changed direction
Carried away sanity, left only
The weight of depression
On our breath

I never stopped loving you
I never turned my back
Never withdrew my heart
I never wanted us to part
Never wanted it to end
Like this

And now we're alone in orbit
As close as we've ever been
And your as beautiful as I remember
As unforgettable as ever
We're watching the stars cower
Behind the cloud of a cigarette
Talking like we've forgotten who we were
Like nothing was ever different
Now we're wandering through the world
Pondering existence
Exhaling glass over the song we played then
And for every light that peers from behind
The echoes of our death
We've a shadow ready to dress in
A darkness born of hard-earned lessons
Who could trust us
After where we've been
Ferried away by the impossibility of
Subconscious suggestions

I never stopped loving you
I never turned my back
Never banished these memories
I never wanted a moment's peace
Never wanted to sleep
Again

And now I see these pictures of you
Now I hear your words
And dance around the uncomfortable truth
That where we are is not where
We were
And you're far beyond the corners I've turned
Too far gone to hear this verse
I wonder, what differences might come of a world
Where we might be
What we might see, if all that transpired
Hadn't, and if we might sit on this beach
Old friends, who wrote this poem
Together, instead of lamenting the tides
Or the hidden moon that draws them
Or the weight of the world, that had fallen
Before we ever knew her name
I wonder if love and loss are
One and the same, or variations of a composition
We've both played

And if so, what note might come next
Is it hope, or withdrawal by reflex
Will I know more than words and
Context
When you lean across the dampened sand
And ask me where I haven't been
Will I have the courage to ask you
To come with?

No comments:

Post a Comment