Saturday, August 2, 2014

Shameless Angels

She's a heady mix of
Intellectual bravado and
Expectant eyes
A girl who looks good
In a pair of torn jeans and
My well worn skull and bones t-shirt
(She put it on
Just to keep me from leaving
Before she woke
I pretended not to notice
That)
And hell, when she stood up
And her hair tumbled in a hundred directions
And pulled those torn jeans
Up over her hips
Her eyes stretched open to reveal
Those crystal oceans
And she smiles conspiratorially,
Says
"Oh, you're still here,
I wouldn't have guessed."
We laugh, she takes the coffee
From my hands, swallows a long sip
Staring at me over the rim
The
Whole
Damn
Time
(I would have kissed her
If the mug hadn't kept me
From leaning in)
She scrunched up her nose
And handed it back
"Ugh, you drink it black and
Whiskey free?
Pour that out, I've got just the thing."
We're drinking shots now
Ten in the morning and the sun
Sneaks through the blinds
I don't mind, it lights her up
And I like the sight
(I would've told her right then
I loved her, if I wasn't so distracted
By the way the light played
On her flesh)
She wants to know what I think
Of her
And I look again
At the way my shirt hangs
From her left shoulder
At the slight crook in her lips
When she smiles
Her tangled hair still framing
Those eyes
The tiny diamond stud
Just beneath her bottom lip
I listen to my heart
Racing, the whiskey
Dancing through my head
"What do I think?"
(I pretended to struggle with the words
Even as the answer forced its way
Through my thoughts
Til it came to rest on my tongue)
"I think we should go
Back to bed."

No comments:

Post a Comment