Monday, August 25, 2014

Alibi

Can you tell me where you were
On the night of January 6th
Between 5 and 11 p.m.?

Sure, see that morning
I woke up in a strange bed
There were dark brown sheets and
A rustic dresser, the top covered
Completely
With figurines and stuffed animals, two candles
A pocket knife, and a handful
Of colored pencils

Sir, I asked about the evening
Can you tell me where
You were then?

Take it easy, I'm getting to that
See, I didn't know where I was at first
In the fog of those first moments
Post-sleep
I deduced my location by
The painting hung on the far wall
The care by which each drop and stroke
Sunk into the canvas, stretched across
The imagination
By the half-mashed tubes of acrylic
The glass that sprouted brush-handles
From the top of it
And grayish-pink water that rose
Halfway to the rim
I could have just looked over
Any moment, but I hesitated on the chance
I was still dreaming
And the sight of her might wake me

Listen sir, this is important
I need to know what you were doing
Between 5 and 11
On the day in question?

Well, I started to stand
When I felt her hand
Brush against my hip
And she whispered, still sleeping
Don't go yet, I'll go with you
In a minute
My heart stopped, my throat caught
And I froze, half sitting up
Half held in place
By her fingertips
Still stained with paint, still as soft
As I remembered them
I stayed there, motionless, another fifteen minutes
Trying to draw a picture in my head
Of what had happened, and how much had been
Dreamt
And she kissed my cheek
And one eye opened, and her lips parted into a smile
As beautiful as I had ever seen
She asked me if I
Remembered
I wondered if I
Could ever forget

Sir, one last time
Where were you during the times
I've mentioned?

Well, by then the hour hand
Was approaching six
I couldn't imagine having slept
So late, til I realized we had been
Up til eight, plotting a revolution
Painting and drinking red wine
And laughing, catching up on old times
And wondering when they might have
Vanished
I cooked breakfast for dinner
She put on some music
I poured us each a glass
Of rum and coke, to ease the hold
Of our hangover
She danced like I couldn't see it
Or like I could, and she wanted to send
A message
We talked about what city might be next
What future we might have
What fortune had found us
In that moment
We washed the dishes, around eight
She splashed me with the water
From the faucet
I told her she was the most beautiful woman
I had ever met, she said well,
You haven't met them all yet
And blushed, and I knew right then
It wouldn't matter if I had, the truth was
As it had always been
She kissed me on the lips
Told me I tasted like rum and
Bacon, and laughed, and by then
It was almost ten, I brushed my teeth
We turned on the TV
And completely ignored it
And if you want to know anymore, sir
You're going to have to take me to court
Cause the rest is none of
Your business
But to answer your question
On January 6th, from 5 to 11
I was with her, and I'm fairly sure
We weren't even on
This planet
But somewhere between here
And heaven, and if you don't mind
I'd like to go back

Thank you for your cooperation
In this matter, if I have any further questions
I'll be sure to call your number
So we can chat
Fat chance officer, where we're going
I'm sure
There's no reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment