Saturday, July 26, 2014

Draw

Along faintly drafted lines lies
The truth beneath his sketch
Whose bold inks suppose no error
Whose careful shades inspire dimension
Each imprint left, each indiscretion measured
In half erasure, in half breaths
As the soul comes into view
In its glorious imperfection
And so, the scratches ease their way
Into indenture, binding what is with
Who was, finding your gift
Among pages of discarded thoughts
As the artist becomes the art
As the lover finds his heart
Exposed upon his canvas
I have found myself, it seems
In recording the moments between
Unconsciousness and lucidity
When the world is but a dream
And I still see the imprints
Left upon me by the night's sleep
When all is whole, before we suppose
Anything might never be

I drew her as the night veiled
A moon shining fervently
Through all the clouds could exhale
In whispers across the sea
I sketched her as a ship at sail
As a faerie caught unaware
As the mischievous fox
And the regal tigress
I drew her as an angel
Whose wings stretched themselves
Along the length of her flesh
I traced her from memory
The blessing of a waking dream
Who lays so quiet on those pages now
Not me, as my pen races furiously
To capture the image of her sunset
Before she lays behind some distant horizon
I have found my love, in dreams
In those moments of complete lucidity
When the world is encompassed by what we see
Lying between those canvassed sheets
And I still see the sketch
Left upon me by a lover's ink
When we were whole, and I could know
That this love would ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment