Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Devil and I

She said 
You're some kind of devil 
But she's the one that looks best in red 
She's the one who put the words in this pen 
All I did was spill some ink 
Where I never should have been 

If our story were 
Alice and the looking glass 
I'd save my favorite line for last 
The one where she goes home at last 
And the Mad Hatter lets loose his maddest laugh 
Oh you'll be back again, dear Alice 
And I'll save this poison pen 
For your lips 
Cause this poetry was meant to be read 
From the hips, meant to be taken 
In heavy doses, by the romantically hopeless 
Take this pill and see 
How deep beneath the flesh we go 
She pulls back from my open hand 
Lets go of sin and circumstance 
Says my dearest Devil, I've stayed as long as I can 
In your world of fire and eloquence 

Alice says, Kings will fare best 
When the Queen comes to bed 
When the whole world flowers beneath the smile 
She gives for yesterdays 

If I could traverse the surface 
Of the web I've spun you in 
I'd find it shimmering 
With the gold of these stories we've told 
I'd find you not yet empty 
Of the hope no one knows 
You keep secret 

I'd climb in through your bedroom window 
Sign my name to every poem 
You ever wrote 
Of love 

So take me from your dresser 
Place me in your heart 
Cause crowns don't sleep in coffins but 
In monuments and stars 
Cause though armor breaks, in its place 
You'll find you bear no scars 

And symphonies and sails guide us 
Through the glorious hell of requited love 
And these travails remind us 
Of the sordid spell of our touch 
Buried beneath 
The pyramids 
Weary, asleep 
Beneath our skin 
A force so strong, even our 
Ocean souls give in 
To tides that keep on rolling in 
To beaches where we may 
Dream again 

If I may take my seat at the bar 
Order a drink of whatever you are 
I'd compare your eyes to the stars 
And make a wish as you fell 
Back into my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment