Sunday, July 27, 2014

2am

A swift step and 
A tip of the glass 
Welcome to the end 
A quick glance 
A shot of chance 
Welcome home my friend 

Dizzy-eyed patrons waltz 
Through endless melodies 
Dim-lit tables cash in 
Half smoked cigarettes 
A blackboard menu promises 
These deadly concoctions 
At half price 
And on one side of the bar 
Sit the unshaven drunks 
Praying the next glass they empty 
Might fill them 
Two seats down 
A tired blonde fingers the 
Rim of her glass 
Casually wiping away 
The bright-red lipstick stain 
As suitors come and go 
Each mirroring the one before them 
So here I am 
Hoping that the next drink 
Will be the last, even as 
I'm ordering the next 
While the bartender leans over 
Offers a bit of advice 
"I've seen those eyes 
Before. There are some things 
That you can't wash down 
With liquor." 

A paid tab, and I'm 
Calling a cab 
Maybe I can make it home 
Yet 
A quick glance 
At the last couple dancing 
And I whisper goodbye to 
My friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment