Sunday, July 27, 2014

Death of an Actress

She was all smiles and
Personality
A cute little thing
A shame she didn’t have the look
For movies, cause with charm like that
She just might make it
She came in at 3
I took her as just another
Come to collect her disappointment
Asked the standard questions
What kind of movies
Are you willing to do?
Are you comfortable with nudity?
It’s art, really
There’s a script and everything
And you could watch that tiny glimmer of hope
Turn into a steely resolve
In her gray eyes, I could’ve sworn
They were blue before then
Before the color died when
She realized the truth of her situation
Across the coast from
All she’d ever known
With a bag of clothes and
The leftovers of a desperate loan
See, everyone works their way up
From this, everyone has to earn their way, and if
You’re willing to accept the cost then
We’re willing to grant you the pay
So many hearts I’d broken with this speech
So many dreams have died right here
And almost instinctively, I reached
Into the top left drawer
And pulled out a bag of coke and said
You’ll need this to forget that
We’ve turned you into a whore
She said, you’re all guile and
Certainties
But I came from a family that
Did just this to me, I came here
To leave, not live in the same squalor
They kept me, so keep your drug
I’ll keep in touch with you
By proxy of the silver screen
And smiled, and showed herself the door
And on her way out, I whispered
See you in six weeks, I’ll keep this in the drawer
Until then
I never heard from her again
Assumed she couldn’t cut it in
Hollywood and left, well there’s your story and
I’ve got three more interviews to get through
And three more dreams to kill
So if I’m not being charged
I’d appreciate it if you’d depart
The same way she did
Satisfied with my answers and
Certain to find something more
Somewhere else
We’ll be in touch, here’s a card
In case there’s anything you forgot
I wouldn’t leave town without
Notifying us
We take these sort of cases quite serious
And off they went
With nary a breath spent
On cross-examination
Had they checked my drawer
They’d have seen she came back
For the coke
They’d have asked where she went
If not home
I’d have told them I didn’t know
It’s not like I hadn’t had to
Lie through my teeth before
And maybe she wouldn’t be so
Easily forgotten, maybe we wouldn’t keep on
With our business
Here in the shadow of the stars
Where we all play our parts
Though admittedly few
Cost more than ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment