Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Ash and the Ember

The lines we swallow
A chance to follow
The end, round the bend
Now I see tomorrow
In pools we wallow
Our own sorrow
And what we all know
Is dead, now we're left
In these quiet hollows

And here upon the highest shelf
A painting for you and no one else
An empty bottle of a prison cell
Beneath the oils we've canvassed hell

She said, where've you been
I've been waiting here, with him
And gestured a finger
At Lucifer
Who looked at her and grinned
Somewhere else, where lives might end
And with them the lies
That kept us breathing
Kept hearts beating
Against these brittle cages
Where Heaven dressed so strangely
We'd never welcome her in

And the nights I called home
Were the nights I lost hope
And the dead held their heads
And said don't we all know
But when my voice broke
The tiny machine froze
Aligning with the devil
He said, don't forget
Where you are when you go home

Here behind a wall of glass
A thousand tapes and photographs
Line the walls all dressed in black
To ask
Is it better to be the first to show
Or the last to go
Is it better to hold on to hope
Or to keep your feet planted firmly at home

She said
Don't forget
And I never did
She said
Don't regret
I always have
And the devil placed his bet
And I put everything I had
On Death
Against this
Somewhere
We must've meant this
But here
We're different
Here, we're something
Something
We have never been.

No comments:

Post a Comment