Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sandstone

He woke up in bed with
A fever of the head
The hallucinations spent on
Every empty moment
Between breaths and seconds
Between her legs and memories
Where her olive skin was poison and
Her dreams were of the ocean
We swam amidst the coral reefs
Ran between these wild trees
Whose arms kept grasping shadows and
Who painted us with her leaves
The ink of years above
Sea level, now our heads are
In trouble, cause the medicine is kicking in and
She couldn't imagine
My thoughts
As they went somewhere we'd never reached
A place in your eyes that we had
Never breached
And a quiet heart sits and
Reflects on all your innocent
Mistakes, these days we're firing into
The wake, lying amongst graves
Swearing we've never tasted
This bitter drink, this time sunk beneath
The beach, where everything is coming or going
Never staying longer than she could know me
In our bed of lightly-strung reeds
We're whistling in the wind
Every time we dream
Finding something farther away
Than the eye could ever see
I woke up in your bed with
A fever in my head and
A lover in my hands
And I sculpted a masterpiece
That left room only
For you and me
Carved a world into the side of this mountain
A fountain of youth next to it
To ensure the moment would never end
That when the sun reached down and brushed your cheek
I would be there with my cool moonlight
To soothe the burns you'd never seen
To prove the worth of all our dreams
I never spent a single cent
On forgetting, for what
Words would spill beyond the breach
Just to say
This touch could never be
Human, like me
This rush could never keep
Up with me, I will be
Your drug of choice, your quiet lover beyond the noise
Of reality, and you'll never forget
The years we buried in moments
The tears we spared in coming
To this ocean air keep
Where even the devil could be
As sweet as the moment you fell
At my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment