Sunday, July 27, 2014

If I Could Say Something

Can a man just be a man these days 
Without being considered insensitive, or effectively 
Past his expiration date 
Can a man just say what he wants to say 
Forgo political correctness, without the consent 
Of random-winged media mouthpieces 
Cause honestly, when I say "You're an asshole.", 
I'm not saying much, certainly not admitting 
Much knowledge of your particular asshole 
Other than to say, it has scooted uncomfortably close 
To your face 
And when I hold the door for you dear, 
It's most definitely not out of some 
Reverse-psychology anti-feminism, or barbaric intent 
I am simply being efficient, there is no need 
For you to wave your hand at me so disgustedly 
As if I were somehow lost in the fifties 
Cause sometimes I have 
An extra moment to spare, and you're standing right there 
There's no reason to waste energy releasing a door 
Just to watch you open it on your own 
A second later 
Can a man disagree with the government today 
Without being called racist, or right-wing 
Cause I think, if anyone's being too conservative lately 
It's the president, and the less he does 
The further we slip away 
Can I just say what I want to say 
That I'm disappointed in the state of our country today 
Without some mouth-breathing 
Flag waving 
Imbreeding 
Asshole 
Calling me unpatriotic, do you think 
If I were so disconnected emotionally 
From the future of our fair nation 
That I'd give a damn about my right 
To give a damn who we fight 
While a large portion of our population 
Sleeps on the streets? 

If I could say what I wanted to say 
Well, I'd say the same things I've said today 
Probably spice it up some 
With an F-bomb or two, maybe even 
Three, but I wouldn't want to be 
That guy 
That gets dismissed simply 
Because he can't hold his tongue 
In certain company 
So I'll put down on paper 
How I wish we were safer, but more importantly dream 
We were braver 
When it comes to fighting the less-glorious wars 
Namely, the wars on hunger 
And poverty 
And homelessness 
On cancer, disaster relief 
And hypocrisy 

If I could say what I wanted to say 
I'd probably have to invent 
More words 
And I'd leave it up to the world 
To divine 
Their meanings.

No comments:

Post a Comment