Sunday, July 27, 2014

Castle in the Shadows

It is in these hours
Alone
Where the night comforts with cool arms
Where I feel
At peace
Amidst the silence
The grin of tiny lightbulbs
As they struggled against the oppressive dark
I find courage in
Their unflinching demeanor
I find myself in
The shadows that wish
To overcome them
Yet stoically
They stay lit
Guiding my hands to foreign worlds
Guiding my spirit
Away from the flesh
Here, where the night sings
Always on key
These tunes of reverie and
Pure pleasure
Come to me, she whispers
Lie in my arms
For one moment
Her voice chills the spine
This is the comfort of the grave
And she is the siren
Here, where my mind can rest
Free from the struggles of the day
Free of the overbearing sun
In the plane of
Souls
She lies, this creature
Of sand and fog
Having mastered the art
Of seducing me
It is in these hours
Where we are gifted with
Silence
That the empty spaces conjure
The most serene images
And the sounds
Of molecules of air colliding
With the fingertips of the trees
Whip and whistle
Their introduction to
The masochism of morning
She calls me home to
The land of the dead
And I grasp feebly
At the streetlights along each
Junction
Praying that their courage stays
While simultaneously
Hoping that they fade
That I could fly, if only
I couldn't see
The ground
Knowing that I would die, if only
Cause I ceased to speak
In certainties and straight lines
I believe
In gravity, but in my mind surely
No such thing would keep me
Here
But the outline of these city streets
Still keeps my eyes from wandering
Too far
It is in these hours
Alone
That I have come to know me
Amidst the sharp-tongued owls
And symphony of crickets
As dawn prepares
To renew her assault
To shine upon my faults
And bring me hurtling back towards earth
Where I may dress for the next day
Beneath the burden of these words
And remember
Only hours before when
I knew her
Now scouring the
Dawn
For a pocket of shadow
A place to return
To the night I love
Where the world lie
Shapeless and newborn
Where the faithless are renewed
By the spaces we've never
Viewed
Upon our castles and coffins
We sit laughing
For the living would call us
Many names
And never know the language
That the night speaks
Or that the dead can still hear
Her voice
Oh night, my vice
You've remained at my side
So far
Now we've just one
Wall to conquer
So prepare your soles, for there we climb
And our kingdoms, though fractured
By the sunlight
Are as vast as
The ocean
As expansive as
Our dreams
At night.

No comments:

Post a Comment