Sunday, July 27, 2014

A Carnation From A Corpse

We've marched through fires
That burned e'eryone else
And satisfied our parched eyes
With the tears they never felt
We've lived through liars
And miles of red sand
And today we're storming Normandy
And today we make our stand
For the whole world watches
What happens in our shadows
And they wait with baited breath
What words we bring them home to
We've sewn our stories
Into every stitch of time
'Til the years smelled of our favorite liquor
And our fears were buried 'neath our lines
We've recorded every moment
For posterity and sanity's sake
Kept mementos from every moment
'Til we were full of all that had happened
Before
And now the walls come crashing down
And the sea of blank faces
See 'neath our shrouds, and smile
All the while, we stand naked here
In our verses, cloaked by metaphors, we've been
Soaked in something more, and now we speak so loudly
That the Heavens will surely hear
And maybe God won't come down
On us so hard tonight, when we're sharing this
Glass of red wine, and emptying our minds
Onto the page, maybe the world will take it
Easy on the sages, for once, but persecution makes
For such tragically beautiful days
Where suns collide with moons and
Night can't arrive or leave too soon
Where knights collide with gray skies
And wonder aloud
What war have I waged without reason
What battles have I fought so valiantly
Only to be labeled treasonous
By my queen, she seems to exist
Only in dreams, where the sword would lacerate us
So easily, and the rivers of our blood
Flowed sweetly down the bedsheets
While she sleeps so peacefully, dreaming only of
Everything that isn't me, what world does she exist in
That her paintings hold in highest esteem, the colors folded in on
Canvas, 'til a letter she sent became my sentence
And what escape is there for
The apologist, if any, I would beg forgiveness
'Til my last breath, instead she laughs and
Sends me off to slaughter
My innocence
I've marched through fires that
Burned e'eryone else and
Still came out whole when
No one was there to catch my ashes
And satisfied my parched mind
With the tears of a thousand wounds
Left unmended, I pretended them out of
Existence, now to what may I attribute these
Pains, to the cool rain of her dress as
It falls down past my lips
To the dark stain on her hands where
She slid the dagger 'tween
My thoughts, separated me from
My hope, were we not writers then?
Who blended truth with fiction and
Liquor with our common sense?
Have I not faithfully marked your movements
In chalk on the ballroom floor where
You fell, and I did, and e'er since
We've been paying our penance to
Karma, when the whole world seems to glide cross
Without scuffing their hardwood hearts
Why then does our dance cost us
Our legs, if this world lies strong on
Our foundation, then what room is there
To bring a lover in, to leave another moment
Unguarded, as so many have been
At the precise moment they needed
Our protection
Still I'd trade my next breath for this
Still I'd accept these chains on my wrist if
It meant I'd taste that kiss again
I'd take my life back from those ashes
Just to give to chance and the wind
My dream of being
Alive in you
Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment