Sunday, July 27, 2014

Independence

She came to me 
Like a Category 5 wind 
Knocked me out 
With her Cherokee grin 
Dressed down in blue jeans 
And a white t-shirt 
That held her as tightly 
As I wished I could 
Hoping she would 
Notice me noticing 
And she did 
Cause when I turned around 
A smile creased her lips 
A quick wink and she ducked back in 
To the crowd 
So I waded through 
The distracted masses 
Kept one eye on 
That long blond hair 
Kept one hand 
In front of me, like Moses 
Trying to part the 
Ocean of bystanders 
Staring at the sky 
Waiting for the show 
That fateful fourth of July 
I caught her 
And lost my breath 
Heart kicked up 
Amidst the dust of 
A thousand shuffling feet 
Let go of one sentence 
I said, "Hey, what's your name?" 
And she answered with 
That perfect smile 
"Independence."

No comments:

Post a Comment