Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Lonely Physicist

String Theory posits that 
Multiple dimensions coexist 
With the spatial dimensions 
We are aware of 
That within those dimensions 
All known laws of physics 
Are at best polite suggestions 
And at worst flat wrong 
Wouldn't it be nice 
If every time my theories 
Unraveled 
I could just say 
Oh, I'm a string theorist 
Whatever doesn't make sense 
Simply exists in another dimension 
Where the laws of physics 
Have changed 
For example, the shortest distance 
From A to B 
Has been widely known 
As a straight line 
But, in quantum physics 
The shortest distance 
Between any two points 
Is always zero 
As those two points may coexist 
In the same space, between 
Different dimensions 

I've always believed 
That Love conquers all 
But lately, I'm starting to see 
A world behind 
The dimensions of the heart 
Shadows, where light should travel 
Measuring moments in 
Planck times 
Oh, how you go 
So fast, that you would make me 
A physicist, just to figure 
A reason 
Why your sky seems so much 
Darker than mine 
Why the laws of time 
And gravity 
Are forgotten by my reflection 
In your eyes 

So we'll call it string theory then 
The way you've got me 
Wrapped up in 
So many dimensions 
Tiny worlds where 
Love is given room 
For her schizophrenia 
Where Trust is merely 
An arrangement of electrons 
Begging you to put 
A positive spin on them 

We'll call it a Theory 
And like so many wise men 
Let it sit until tomorrow 
Let it mingle with our souls 
Until we are proven wrong 
Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment