Sunday, July 27, 2014

Through the Widower's Window

A candle bent 'neath
The cool night breath
Of the open window
Lent it's flickering light
To the page
Where a pen waltzed
Gracefully, crafting arcs guided
By a weathered hand
Eyes focused intently
On every one of
Her curves
The mistress of words
Taunting her master
With every stroke
They made love
And tears, beneath
The sauntering flame
A warm smile in
The cold dark
A long sigh
As lovers dressed
In prose, a nude
Juxtaposed, by devils clawing
At her ankles
Writhing within
Oils, as her last words
Formed at the kiss of
Ink and parchment
He spoke her name softly
And it echoed throughout
His empty chambers
Accompanied by the
Tapping fingers
Of his heartbeat
I'll tell your story
My love
As if there were no end
As though this candle
Remained lit, even as
Mother Night came down
And kissed her
With those airy lips
Those sweet black twins
Whose caress slays even
The sturdiest of men
I'll tell your story
My love
As if they were
The only words I meant
A candle bent 'neath
Lovely Nature's death
Here, where shadows strain
Even the brightest flames
And turn our sweetest
Waxen promises
Into seals that shall
Ne'er be broken
Here, where memory is
The only lover I have left
I'll tell your story
My love
As you were
Before the devils drew you in
Tiny bent fingers, weathered thin
I curse these trembling hands
As chapters escape my grasp
I curse this trembling mind
As the world dresses in
The majesty of your death
I watch the candle die
Press her to
This masterpiece
This culmination of my
Devotion, may you
Rest in peace, knowing
No other crossed
These pages, they were written
For the late
Who loved me in a way
That my greatest dreams
Have e'er since been
To reach Heaven, where surely
You await.

No comments:

Post a Comment