Saturday, July 26, 2014

Walking Dead

I dress in the shadows of the day
Whose death is worn upon my sleeve
She breathes, no more, eyes closed
A decade on the floor, the light screams
Against her bare skin, the sedative scent
Of her perfume, the precious few molecules
Left of her, a snare that holds me here
In tears, these years fade so quickly
A dozen unmarked calendars hung on
A single overburdened nail
She rests in the grave now
And I am enslaved, powerless to escape
Home, whose letters once brought her lips to mine
Now form a curse of bitter breath
Beneath the filter of a cigarette
Burnt beyond the stale tobacco
I taste only the Jack Daniels, and the blood of a split lip
The love and the guilt trip, who led me down
So many beautiful paths, now lay me down to death
Who stubbornly refuses my advances
I thrust myself unwilling into each new moment
Unable to resist the fables she left
To rot inside my skin, the decomposure of what once was
Now the overexposure of what is, the open sore of regret
Stings at each movement of the clock
How could I live, bearing so much on my shoulders
How dare I grow older, as she grows colder
In the grave, these days, they were meant for suffering
Some debt unpaid, that separated me
From the remains of my dreams
A bed of wood and earth, where I should be sleeping
Next to her, instead I'm left with only
Words, memories, hurt, and a world kept moving
By a shovel full of dreams, tossed into the furnace
I am the dozen empty cars pulled
By a train that's always leaving, never seeing
A destination, there are no reperations
For a heart vacated so completely
As to be torn from the chest still beating
And drowned in a sea of grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment